mar 12, 2021
The president said the he put the country on a war footing as the nation has lost more Americans to COVID than WWI, WWII, Vietnam and 9/11 combined.
- Pres. Biden said he wants vaccine supply for all American adults by the end of May and also said that further guidance on what those vaccinated can/cannot do will be coming.
- Pres Biden: “I need you… I need every American to do their part… I need you to get vaccinated when it’s your turn and when you can find an opportunity… If we do all if this, if we do our part, if we do this together, by July the 4th there’s a good chance you, your families and friends, will be able to get together in your backyard, or in your neighborhood, and have a cookout or a barbeque, and celebrate Independence Day.” The President reiterated that doesn’t mean “large events” but rather “small groups.”
- However, he also noted while “July 4th with your loved ones is the goal,” that “conditions can change” as “scientists have made clear that things may get worse again as new variants of the virus spread.”
- The president also announced his intention to travel around the country with the first lady as well as VP Harris & her husband to talk directly to different communities.
- “We need everyone to get vaccinated, keep washing your hands, and keep wearing your masks.”
- “After a long dark year, there is hope and light and better days ahead.” Pres. Biden.
Why This Matters: Pres. Biden marked one year of the COVID-19 pandemic. The pandemic declaration by the World Health Organization was a notable turning point in this story (BTW – pandemic refers to a pervasive virus, not necessarily a dangerous virus).