“Cancer does not discriminate red and blue. It doesn't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat. Beating cancer is something we can do together.”
Pres. Biden discussing his "cancer moonshot" initiative to cure cancer.
sep 13, 2022
Why It Matters: Pres. Biden's goal: to reduce the number of cancer deaths by half over the next 25 years. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in America; the primary leading cause of death for those over the age of 65.
- Pres Biden. spoke on the anniversary of Pres. Kennedy's 1962 "moonshot" speech, announcing his intention to send an American to the moon and back. Pres. Biden made the parallel that although it may seem impossible to cure cancer, he believes it can be done and wants to put initiatives in place to speed along discoveries and treatments.
- Interesting Facts on Cancer:
- Second leading cause of death in America (second to heart disease).
- "1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime." (American Cancer Society).
Highlights of Pres. Biden's remarks:
- Emphasis on early detection.
- Announced the leader of a new agency just created earlier this year: Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) to help speed progress towards new therapies.
- Executive order to help protect biotech discoveries in America.
Biden touts his 'cancer moonshot' on the anniversary of JFK's 'man on the moon' speech