“Unfortunately, we can confirm that there is an unprecedented shortage of our products.”
Statement from Huy Fong Inc., manufacturer of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce – the most purchased hot sauce in the nation.
jun 13, 2022
- Why It Matters: The makers of Sriracha, the most popular hot sauce in the U.S., will not be fulfilling any new orders until this fall because of "several spiraling events, including unexpected crop failure from the spring chili harvest."
- Sriracha is made out of chili peppers, which are grown in the fall and spring seasons in different regions of Mexico. This past spring crop produced low yield due to poor growing conditions.
- Stephanie Walker, a chili specialist at the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University, said, “Drought is absolutely a concern. That, combined with high heat, would hurt seedlings after they’re planted in the field."
- Something to consider — the impact on businesses: “We are indeed scrambling to figure things out as we speak. We didn’t want to panic and buy and hoard as we know other businesses need them too, but now that it’s made national news, we might need to. We don’t want it to become a toilet paper effect,” said Phuong Hoang, manager and co-owner of L.A. restaurant Pho Saigon Pearl.
- Random tidbit we thought worth adding: According to multiple sources (here's one), an open bottle of sriracha can last up to two years in your refrigerator!
Sriracha shortage: What you need to know (CNN)
Sriracha shortage is the fault of bad weather in a single region of Mexico, exec says (Pacific San Diego)