“It does seem like there’s a potential for things to shift, I think the question is what the U.S. is going to get in exchange.”
Geoff Ramsey, Venezuela director at the Washington Office on Latin America, on a reported meeting between American and Venezuelan officials.
mar 7, 2022
- Venezuela has the largest oil reserves in the world.
- The U.S. broke diplomatic relations with Venezuela, a socialist state, in 2019.
- Senator Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) on the Biden administration's potential decision: “Rather than produce more American oil he wants to replace the oil we buy from one murderous dictator with oil from another murderous dictator.”
- Why It Matters: As the U.S. and others consider a ban on Russian exports of energy resources, world leaders will look for other potential oil resources to counter the impact on the global economy.
- Monday a.m. note: We'll be watching to see if the White House comments further on this meeting during a press briefing today.
In rare trip to Venezuela, U.S. officials discuss that nation’s oil exports amid a proposal to ban Russian fuel