“It’s a field trip for them. For us, it’s the future of the state.”
Democrat political activist Matt Angle on outside politicians such as Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez campaigning in the state – Tuesday is Texas' Primary Election Day.
mar 1, 2022
- Texas is holding the nation's first primary election for the 2022 election season.
- The Texas primary elections bring attention to high-profile races that pit Republicans vs. Republicans AND Republicans vs. Democrats.
- Any candidate who finishes first but does not receive 50% of the vote will have a run-off in May.
- Many look to Texas for insight into how the conservative movement in the Republican Party defines itself, and also a preview into how Democrats/Republicans might face-off in the fall midterm elections.
- Why It Matters: “We haven’t seen a primary this consequential since the 1990s,” said Brandon Rottinghaus, a professor of political science at the University of Houston. The race is less about policy positions as it is about who holds power in the Republican Party now. “It will tell us a lot about Donald Trump’s juice in Texas,” Mr. Rottinghaus said. (New York Times)