“It's been a long fight, it's been a hard fight, but God is good.”
The mother of Ahmaud Arbery, Wanda Cooper-Jones, after three men were convicted of his murder.
nov 24, 2021
- Ahmaud Arbery was jogging when he was confronted and shot at point-blank range; the defendants said they believed he was responsible for robberies in the neighborhood.
- Arbery was a 25-year-old black man. The defendants are white. Whether or not the men are guilty of a hate crime will be determined in a future federal trial.
- In this case, the three men faced nine murder charges - ranging from malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit a felony.
- Gregory McMichael, 65, was found guilty on eight charges.
- His son Travis McMichael, 35 - who actually shot Arbery - was found guilty on all nine charges.
- Neighbor William "Roddie" Bryan, 52, was found guilty on six charges.
- While we heard the verdict today, sentencing will come at a later date.
- Why It Matters: All three men did not face any charges until a video of the shooting surfaced. They face not only the possibility of life in prison but also federal charges still to come.
What's Next? A good article here: EXPLAINER: Trio guilty of killing Ahmaud Arbery. What now?
Here's a previous post including a timeline of the story: READ MORE