“The president is absolutely healthy.”
Spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin, Dmitry Peskov, on Pres. Putin isolating due to exposure to COVID-19.
sep 14, 2021
- Mr. Peskov went on to say: “We all know that the vaccine is guaranteed to protect you from serious consequences, but cases of illness are still possible." (Pres. Putin was vaccinated in April.)
- Pres. Putin was reportedly exposed to multiple people with COVID-19 and decided to self-isolate.
- Before he made that decision, he met with Paralympic athletes and Syrian Pres. Assad. Spokesman: “No one’s health was put in danger."
- Why It Matters: This story is a reminder that the prevalence of COVID-19 remains high, and impacts those at the highest level of government.
- Timing: With Belarus and others, Russia is currently holding what some describe as the largest European military exercise in 40 years.