“It's devastation throughout the region.”
Aid worker Margaret Lubin describing the aftermath of a magnitude 7.2 earthquake in Haiti.
aug 16, 2021
- Lubin represents Haiti for the aid organization CORE.
- She told NPR: "Hospitals are totally overwhelmed. We are in need of doctors, of medicine. And the aid needs to get to the remote areas. The roads are blocked. So, there's a lot, a lot, a lot to do."
- The earthquake hit Saturday.
- A deadly earthquake in 2010 killed approx. 300,000 in Haiti - this latest earthquake occurred on the same fault line.
- Why It Matters: The Saturday earthquake caused mass devastation and a rising number of casualties. The concern now turns to a tropical storm threatening to compound the challenges.