“I agree with Governor Cuomo's decision to step down. It is the right thing to do and in the best interest of New Yorkers.”
Lieutenant Governor of New York State Kathy Hochul. Following the resignation of Gov. Cuomo, she will serve as the first female governor in New York State history.
aug 11, 2021
- Governor Cuomo will remain in his position for the next two weeks.
- He continues to deny any allegations against him.
- Hochul has served as lieutenant governor since 2015, following her time as a congresswoman and a county official.
- She has a background in law and is married with a son and daughter.
- Why It Matters: Cuomo, once thought to be a potential presidential candidate for the Democratic party, exits a high-profile political career. Hochul will assume the office as the first woman in the NY governor's seat, which dates back to the American Revolution.
- Something To Consider: New York governor's race next year (Nov. 2022) will be one to watch, and will highlight the different factions of the Democratic party.