“This is a horrific day for our city, and it's a tragic day for the VTA family.”
San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo on the fatal shooting of nine people at a rail yard facility - the deadliest shooting in the Bay Area since 1993.
May 26th shooting at the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) rail yard
may 27, 2021
- This is still very much a developing story.
- VTA = Valley Transportation Authority which oversees key public transportation resources south of San Francisco, including bus, light rail, etc.
- On Wednesday morning, a public transit employee at the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), killing eight people before killing himself.
- On Thursday, Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith said the suspect had two semiautomatic handguns and 11 loaded magazines, and that he may have used some type of device to set his house on fire - "probably" to coincide with the shooting. Law enforcement are still investigating the suspect's motives, but they do not believe there are any other suspects involved at this time.
- According to The Associated Press, Wednesday's shooting was the 15th mass killing in America this year. It was also the 8th mass shooting in Northern California since 2017, and the deadliest mass shooting in the San Francisco Bay Area since 1993. A mass killing or mass shooting is often defined as when 4 or more people are killed, not including the shooter.