What you should know:
During the State of the Union address, President Trump suggested allowing 1.8 million people who came into the country illegally with their parents a pathway to citizenship over a period of 12 years as part of broader immigration reform.
“Four Pillars”: Potus Proposed Immigration Reform
- Pathway to citizenship for *some* illegal immigrants aka “dreamers”.
- Border Security (“The Wall”)
- Ends Visa Lottery: Replaces With Merit Based System
- Ends “Chain Migration” (extended families of immigrants receiving priority treatment).
Notice Who Uses What Words…And When
“Illegal immigrants” or “Dreamers” or “Undocumented Workers” or “Undocumented” or “Illegal Aliens”
All these words can refer to same group of people.
Debate Heats Up
“President Trump is proposing a very large-scale amnestyaa path to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal aliensathat his base will perceive as a betrayal.”
Heather MacDonald, Americans First City Journal
More Heated Rhetoric
“The White House’s new proposal holds frightening consequences for the future of black and brown folks in America.”
Sadhana Singh, We Are Not Bargaining Chips Prospect.Org
Feb 1, 2018
- Remarks by President Trump in State of the Union Address
Here are the four pillars of our plan: The first pillar of our framework generously offers a path to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal immigrants who were brought here by their parents at a young age. That covers almost three times more people than the previous administration covered. (Applause.) Under our plan, those who meet education and work requirements, and show good moral character, will be able to become full citizens of the United States over a 12-year period. (Applause.)
The second pillar fully secures the border. (Applause.) That means building a great wall on the southern border, and it means hiring more heroes, like CJ, to keep our communities safe. (Applause.) Crucially, our plan closes the terrible loopholes exploited by criminals and terrorists to enter our country, and it finally ends the horrible and dangerous practice of catch and release. (Applause.)
The third pillar ends the visa lottery, a program that randomly hands out green cards without any regard for skill, merit, or the safety of American people. (Applause.) It”s time to begin moving towards a merit-based immigration system, one that admits people who are skilled, who want to work, who will contribute to our society, and who will love and respect our country. (Applause.)
The fourth and final pillar protects the nuclear family by ending chain migration. (Applause.) Under the current broken system, a single immigrant can bring in virtually unlimited numbers of distant relatives. Under our plan, we focus on the immediate family by limiting sponsorships to spouses and minor children. (Applause.) This vital reform is necessary, not just for our economy, but for our security and for the future of America.A https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-state-union-address/
- President Trump is proposing a very large-scale amnesty—a path to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal aliens—that his base will perceive as a betrayal. He can distinguish it from previous amnesties, however, by insisting on something missing from all previous remissions: that the illegal alien and potential American have zero arrests and convictions. Heretofore, every proposed and actual amnesty gave illegal aliens two free misdemeanor convictions, but avoiding crime is hardly an insuperable demand of new citizens. President Trump said that the amnestied illegal aliens must show good moral character—a clean criminal record is an essential prerequisite of such a showing.
- We Are Not Bargaining Chips by SADHANA SINGH
A Dreamer”s account of the life in limbo that the undocumented are compelled to lead—and how the battle for legalization became a battle for America”s good name.
The White House”s new proposal holds frightening consequences for the future of black and brown folks in America. The message is abundantly clear. Limiting family sponsorship, ending the Diversity Lottery program, closing the legal loopholes to better detain and deport immigrants, and allocating $25 billion for the wall—and what do we get in exchange for this sterilized white state? AA 10-to-12-year path to citizenshipA for 1.8 million young immigrants? I cannot wait until I am 43 to enjoy those wondrous benefits!