Jobs, your money & our guest, stock market analyst & host, Guy Adami
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.
“With the campaign over, it’s time to put the anger and the harsh rhetoric behind us and come together as a nation. It’s time for America to unite. And to heal. We are the United States of America. And there’s nothing we can’t do, if we do it together.“
In response to reports by news outlets that Pres. Trump lost the election, the President said "The simple fact is this election is far from over. Read more on our source page.
“The simple fact is this election is far from over.”
While the President did not speak publicly after the presidential race was called for former Vice-President Biden, he did issue a statement. You can read it in full on our source page.
Marking 9 Months Of COVID-19 in America
VIDEO: The impact of the pandemic on women.
A closer look at the ripple effects of the pandemic for women - news on the economy, psychology and physical impact of the pandemic....and what we now know. WATCH HERE on our source page.
SUPREME COURT JUSTICE RUTH BADER GINSBURG
HEF LIFE & LEGACY IN HER OWN WORDS
“One lives not just for oneself, but for one’s community.”
“The attitude is ‘I’m going to surmount this – whatever it is.’”
“I had a life partner who thought my work was as important as his, and I think that made all the difference for me.”
“The judiciary – unlike the legislature, unlike the president – is a reactive institution. We have no agenda. We respond to the cases that are out there. Courts don’t initiate change. People do.”
“I think the notion that we have all the democracy that money can buy strays so far from what our democracy is supposed to be.”
“Someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability. And to help repair tears in her society, to make things a little better through the use of whatever ability she has.”
Justice Ginsburg will lie in repose at the Supreme Court Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday, she will lie in state at the U.S. Capitol before her burial in Arlington National Cemetery next week.
White House COVID-19 Task Force
WHAT WE LEARNED TODAY
“The number of test positives is increasing. That is a dramatically important signature that everybody is doing their job.”
“The supply has greatly expanded.”
“Yes, there are drugs in the pipeline.”
“We’ll see what happens.”
"...if even 10 or 15 percent of the population decides that what they’re doing today is more important than the health and welfare of the rest of the Americans, they can spread the virus in a very strong way because you know the level of contagion." Dr. Deborah Birx
The new guidelines and what we learned today
“We’re announcing new guidelines for every American to follow over the next 15 days as we combat the virus… Work to engage in schooling from home when possible. Avoid gathering in groups of more than 10 people. Avoid discretionary travel. And avoid eating and drinking at bars, restaurants, & public food courts.”
“… the most important thing was if one person in the household became infected, the whole household self-quarantined for 14 days. Because that stops 100% of the transmission outside of the household.”
“We’re really entering a new phase of testing.”
“So it’s happened; the first injection was today.”
“… to be able to address this virus comprehensively that we cannot see, for which we don’t have a vaccine or a therapeutic. The only thing we have right now is the amazing ingenuity & compassion of the American people.”
Vice President Mike Pence referred to the new guidelines as "what our experts say is the best opportunity we have to lower the infection rate over the entire course of the coronavirus."
the next “online dating”?
- Websites like PollenTree & Modafamily offer a way for people eager to have a child to “hook up” with someone to have a baby and co-parent with *minus* the dating relationship.
- The decision on how to make the baby (surrogate, artificial insemination, actual intercourse) is left up to the individuals.
- The sites also offer a way for men and women looking to donate their sperm and eggs to find matches with parents.
“They were starting to feel the pressure of the biological clock, still single, and looking for a partner they can have a child with, whether they were married or not.”
- Fewer Marriages: In 1978, nearly 60% of 18-to-34-year-olds were married. In 2018, just about 30% were married.
- Fewer Babies: In 2018, the U.S. birthrate fell to a 32-year low, *BUT* birth rates rose for women in late 30s / early 40s.
- $$$: According to latest gov’t data, it costs approx. $234,000 to raise a child.
- FYI: America is the only developed country without a mandated paid leave policy for new moms.
“It’s a controversial approach to creating a family and there are people who balk at it, but the idealized version of a man and woman falling in love is shortsighted.”
LOVE American Style? Online mating may be new, but online dating is definitely not. 30% of adults have tried it and 12% have been in a committed relationship with someone they met online. WHAT DO YOU THINK? Are co-parenting websites the logical next step?
What you might not know about the best known Jewish holiday in America.
Hanukkah means “dedication” in Hebrew
- The holiday commemorates the rededication of the Holy Temple in Jerusalem over 2,000 years ago.
- After years of suffering oppression and religious persecution at the hands of Syrian Greeks, the Jews (the Macabees) took back their Temple.
“Festival of Lights”
- According to the story, that night they had one pot of oil thought to only last 1 day, but somehow it lasted 8, leaving them enough time to find more oil.
- In modern times, the miracle is celebrated by lighting the menorah for eight nights and eating foods cooked in oil, like jelly doughnuts & latkes (potato pancakes).
- Hanukkah, a relatively minor Jewish holiday compared to others, like Jewish New Year (Rosh Hashanah) and the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) is widely celebrated by Jewish people of all denominations across the globe.
- Hanukkah has expanded its empire in recent years beyond menorahs and dreidels to include Hanukkah bushes (x-mas trees), the Mensch on a Bench, and house kits (gingerbread houses).
ONE MORE THING: How do you spell it? Depends who you ask, but the following are all acceptable English spellings of the holiday beginning Sunday at sundown: Hanukkah, Chanukah, Hanukah, Chanuka, & Chanukkah.
Welcome To Our New Website!
Pardon our mess.
The kinks aren’t out of the system yet. We’ve just transferred more than 2,000 posts to this new website. In the coming days, we promise our info will be current, clean and clutter-free (aka: “smarter”)
Every 8 seconds in America, a baby is born. Here’s the first baby of the SmartHER Era!